- Boston: Demolition delay application: 1121 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester
- Announcing The Christina Hepburn Breast Cancer Support Campaign
- Boston: Demolition delay application: 14 Euclid Street, Dorchester
This tragedy was the largest Line of Duty Death in the history of the Boston Fire Department.
The nine members of the Boston Fire Department whose lives were lost were Fire Lieutenant Thomas J. Carroll of Engine 32; Fire Lieutenant John E. Hanbury of Ladder 13; Firefighter Charles E. Dolan of Ladder 13; Firefighter Joseph P. Saniuk of Ladder 13; Firefighter John E. Jameson of Engine 22; Firefighter Thomas W. Beckwith of Engine 32; Firefighter Paul J. Murphy of Engine 32; Firefighter Richard B. Magee of Engine 33; and Firefighter Joseph E. Boucher, Jr. of Engine 22.
More on Boston Chron
- Boston: June 2022: Latest Updates from the Mayor's Office of Housing
- Who Will Be The 2022 Wimbledon Ladies' Champion?
- Ismail Sirdah' Guide To Landing Event Sponsorships
- Massachusetts: Governor Baker Signs Executive Order to Protect Access to Reproductive Health Care Services
- Web Traffic (Visitors) Guidelines: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide
An estimated 10,000 people attended the funeral Mass held at Cathedral of the Holy Cross to pay their last respects to the nine firefighters. A citywide day of mourning was declared.
On the 25th anniversary of the fire in 1997, a memorial was dedicated on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall across from the site of the fire, consisting of a curved granite base with a bronze sculpture of a firefighter's helmet and jacket with inscriptions of the names of the firefighters lost.
On Wednesday, the Council adopted a resolution commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the Hotel Vendome fire with grateful appreciation and heartfelt regret in recognition and memory of the lives of the nine firefighters lost in the line of duty. The Council expresses its deepest condolences to the families of those whose loved ones were lost in service to the City of Boston.
Latest on Boston Chron
- iTech offers 60-days free trial on expEDIum Medical Billing® product
- Boston: Tips for Faster Internet Speeds
- Completion of funding round brings Metaphysiks one step closer to embodying the Metaverse
- On Anniversary of Surfside Tragedy, New Book Coaches Residents to Identify Warning Signs
- Santander Holdings USA, Inc. Provides Statement on Supervisory Stress Test Results
- Boston: The City and B'nai B'rith Housing Celebrate The Residences Off Baker
- Boston: The City and Fenway CDC Celebrate the Acquisition and Renovation of the Newcastle Saranac Apartments
- Boston: BCYF Mirabella Pool Opening Saturday, June 25, 2022
- CHASM unveils highly-respected CEO John Kawola as its first independent board member
- The City of Boston and the Fenway Community Development Corporation Celebrate the Acquisition and Renovation of the Newcastle Saranac Apartments
- The City of Boston and B'nai B'rith Housing Celebrate the Start of Construction on Income Restricted Family Housing
- Boston: Black Community Activism: Melnea Cass's Early Beginnings
- IOTech announces a major new release of Edge XRT, its software platform for time-critical OT systems
- Financial Executives International (FEI) Boston Announces New Board of Directors for 2022-23 Program Year
- Connect Fibre Partners With Linksys and Axiros
- Bacchus Wine & Spirits Jumps To Elite 'Top 20' Position In Beverage Dynamics Top 100 Retailers for 2022
- Hybrid-care Physical Therapy Platform Kins Announces $7.2M in Total Seed Funding to Accelerate Innovation in Care Delivery
- Wheels Up names Todd Smith Chief Financial Officer
- Boston-Based Golden Hearts Games, "The World's First Charity Casino," Surpasses $10M In Donations, Processes Over $6M in 2022 Alone as Over 50,000 Nonprofits Have Now Received Funding From the Platform
- CPC Scientific Announces New California Peptide API Manufacturing Facility