- Billboard, Music Week, and DJ Times Charting Recording Artist, NOAH, Releases Groundbreaking Single "BABYMAKER"
- Mayor Wu and City of Boston Celebrate Immigrant Heritage Month
- Massachusetts: MCSW Announces Keynote Speakers for Historic 25th Anniversary Gala
Mayor Wu expressed her gratitude for the organizations stepping up to provide these critical services to residents. "The immigration system is complicated, and it can be difficult and expensive to get access to qualified legal help," she said. "I'm grateful to these organizations for stepping up to provide these critical services to our residents."
Immigration legal services are expensive and there is often not enough capacity for organizations and lawyers to take new cases. In the 2022 federal fiscal year, there were more than 13,000 immigration court proceedings with over 40% of those cases not having legal representation. The Mayor's Office for Immigrant Advancement has taken several initiatives in order to ensure that legal help is not limited only those who can afford it. These initiatives include Free Immigration Consultations, Citizenship Day, Dedicated Docket clinics, as well as the MOIA Expanding Access To Immigration Services Grant Program which is funded by MOIA's operating budget through March 2024.
More on Boston Chron
- ImmunoGen Presents Updated Findings from CADENZA Trial of Pivekimab Sunirine in Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm at EHA 2023 Congress
- Research Urges Standardization of FDA's Human Factors Engineering Practices Within the Medical Device Industry
- City of Boston Opens Applications for Nightlife Initiative for a Thriving Economy Committee
- Family Eyecare Solutions Introduces New Technology RightEye's EyeQ Vision Test
- Forbes names Sun Life U.S. a Best Employer for Diversity
Monique Tú Nguyen, Executive Director of the Mayor's Office for Immigrant Advancement commented on the importance of providing access to qualified legal services: "When people don't have access to qualified and competent legal services they often fall prey to scams," she said. "Through supporting community organizations and advocating for better immigration policies we're finding solutions to major systematic issues in our communities."
Fifteen local organizations have been selected by MOIA as recipients of this grant program: Agencia ALPHA; Boston Adult Technical Academy; Brazilian Women's Group; Brazilian Worker Center; Centro Presente; Gilbert Albert Community Center; Greater Boston Legal Services; Immigrant Family Services Institute; International Institute of New England; Mabel Center for Immigrant Justice; Mutual Aid Eastie; Project Citizenship; Soccer Without Borders; Somali Development Center; Student Clinic for Immigrant Justice.
For more information on these services or if you are interested in applying please contact the organizations directly or visit MOIA's website at www.bostonmoia.org/grants/. This press release is also available in Chinese, Haitian Creole, Cabo Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Somali Spanish and Vietnamese languages on their website as well.
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on Boston Chron
- Smart Cities of the Future by Vine Strategy
- Tom Olen Memorial Fund Awards Scholarship to a Norwood High School Senior
- Electives named 'Corporate Learning Solution of the Year' by EdTech Breakthrough
- Syros to Present at Sidoti June 2023 Virtual Small-Cap Conference
- The Data Economics Company and Gordian Knot Strategies Highlight Deployment of Enkrateia Platform for More Strategic Investments in U.S. Forests
- Menarini Group Shares NEXPOVIO® (selinexor) Subgroup Data from BOSTON trial at the European Hematology Association Congress, Highlighting Clinical Potential in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- Strivve partners with innovative Reseda Group
- RevBio krijgt 2 miljoen dollar subsidie om de ontwikkeling van zijn nieuwe implantaatproduct voor de tandheelkundige hechting van botfragmenten te bevorderen
- Hanover Crossing Welcomes Twelve Tesla Superchargers
- RevBio is Awarded a $2 Million Grant to Advance the Development of its Novel Dental Adhesive Bone Scaffold Product
- Timing is Key: Discover the Advantages of Selling Now, Backed by Experts
- Governor Healey Re-Nominates Dr. Charlene Bonner to Massachusetts Parole Board
- Life Sciences Workforce Initiative Launched for Boston Residents
- Spring is in bloom with our May partners!
- Get Ready for Fireworks in Sexy Red, White, and Blue Bustier Babydoll Lingerie
- Pacific Program Management Promotes Guy Faretra to National Director, Delivery Services
- Financial IT Launches Fintech Pathfinder: Showcasing the Most Promising Fintech Startups
- Wágner Resurfaces with Second Single "I Ran" After 30-Year Hiatus
- Author/Photographer David Goodman Announces June 27 Release of His New Book An American Cannabis Story
- Knobull Alerts Workers When They Are About To Burn Out