In this atmosphere, Boston celebrated Independence Day. The City's 1861 celebration emphasized the importance of community and civic unity in Boston and in the Union.
Independence Day program, 1861
Boston's City government held an official Independence Day ceremony, which included popular patriotic songs, like "Stand by the Union", that emphasized the importance of national unity.
July 4, 1861 concert program
Boston also held a concert on the morning of July 4. The concert emphasized both the ethnic diversity of Boston and pointed to national unity. Military bands played "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Yankee Doodle," but also played the national songs of Germany, Russia, Italy, Ireland, and France. The concert honored the wide range of ethnic groups represented by the people of the United States.
More on Boston Chron
- CU Xpress Lease Expands into Northern California
- Grab 'em by the Microphone! Independent Feature Film To the New Girl Releases on VOD
- Crossover Publications announces 9/11/2020 release date for Make America Saved Again
- Survey Shows Employees Felt Surprisingly Productive During COVID-19
- Boston: Demolition Delay application: 679 Columbia Road, Dorchester
The City planned an entire day of celebration for its residents including fireworks, a rowing regatta, children's events, and a balloon ascension. You can see tickets for some of these events below!
While the City wanted its residents to enjoy a day of celebration, they also warned them against "the discharge of firearms, squibs and crackers, also mock processions, the blowing of horns, and other annoyances." Rather, they told Bostonians, "every facility will be extended by the Government for the rational enjoyment of the festivities of the day."
July 4 message, 1861
This year, Boston's Independence Day celebrations look a little different than usual, but we're still looking forward to celebrating on July 4! Still thinking about how you'll observe the day? Here are a few ideas:
- Watch the Boston Pops will broadcast A Boston Pops Salute to Our Heroes on July 4 at 8 pm. Learn more about the history of the American Revolution by joining our friends at the USS Constitution Museum virtually. Color the Freedom Trail or construct your own Bunker Hill Monument with our friends at Boston National Historic Park
We hope you enjoy the Fourth!
Latest on Boston Chron
- Boston: Be Connected: Introducing the City's new orientation program
- Market Research Leader Shirley Felix, Joins Prominent Consumer Insights Agency, 360 Market Reach, As
- Clarity Gold Reported 2.32 oz/t Au - Sent Crews to Three High Grade Gold Properties in BC
- Doctor Develops Personalized Solution to COVID-19 Threat
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Announces a $20M Fintech Venture with Braintree in the Coming Year
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Has Announced an Equity Investment in a Brantstone Properties Development Project – London, Slated 2023
- What if Bon Jovi's Drummer Had Been an Indian Temple Musician From 800AD?
- COVID-19 Pneumonia Patient Shows Significant Improvements Following Laser Treatment at Massachusetts Hospital
- New Memoir By U.S. Marine: Releasing on Amazon September 06 2020
- Building Your Success System. Unique New eBook
- Onlive Server Announced Europe based Germany VPS Server Hosting Services with KVM Hypervisor Cloud Panel
- Massachusetts: Governor Baker Signs $1.8 Billion Bond Bill to Improve Information Technology, Public Safety and Food Security
- ICON Jewel's Famed Hollywood Jeweler Talks Diamonds, Covid And These Uncertain Times
- Why We Need More Black Executives in Hip Hop? by Eric B
- Liberty All-Star® Equity Fund, Liberty All-Star® Growth Fund, Inc. Announce Change of Location of the Joint Annual Meeting of Shareholders
- Boston: Socially-distant seating installed around the Parkman Bandstand
- Massachusetts: Baker-Polito Administration Announces New Initiatives to Stop Spread of COVID-19
- Boston: Mayor Walsh announces virtual Gospelfest
- blumshapiro Foundation donates $24K to support New England food banks
- Marshals Of The Revolution-New Roots Country Music and Lifestyle Brand Has Arrived