"We were interested in testing TXA127 because it is our hypothesis that the downregulation of ACE2 by SARS-CoV-2 may lead to an angiotensin-(1-7) deficiency and tilt the renin angiotensin signaling axis into a pro-inflammatory state. Supplementation with exogenous angiotensin-(1-7) with TXA127 has the potential to reverse this disruption," said Dr. Jeanine D'Armiento, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine in Anesthesiology and Physiology and Cellular Biophysics at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and Director of the Center for Molecular Pulmonary Disease at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
More on Boston Chron
- Dicerna to Participate in the Chardan 4th Annual Genetic Medicines Conference
- Boston: Blue Hill Avenue community meeting to discuss near-term improvements, long-term vision
- Impact Fund Genuine Interest Announces Strategic Investment in American Homebuilders of West Africa
- Boston: Funding doubled for seniors to replace heating systems through Seniors Save
- Kimble PSA Continues to Lead the Field in User Adoption and Return on Investment in G2 Fall 2020 Report
TXA127 is a Mas receptor agonist and has been shown in various animal models of lung injury to reduce inflammation, stabilize endothelial and epithelial barriers and reduce fibrosis.
Dr Richard Franklin, CEO of Constant Therapeutics, said, "This is an important trial focused on an at-risk patient population, where TXA127 may improve lung and kidney function and potentially have an impact on cytokine release syndrome. We have been working with the investigators at Columbia since April when they contacted us with their hypothesis about the role of angiotensin-(1-7) in COVID-19, and we are looking forward to treating the first patient."
Constant previously announced plans for three additional Phase 2 trials at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts; Policlinico S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital in Bologna, Italy; and at sites in Israel affiliated with Bar-Ilan University and Technion Israel Institute of Technology.
TXA127 is a pharmaceutical formulation of the naturally occurring human peptide angiotensin-(1–7). In addition to its specific effects in lung injury, TXA127 has shown therapeutic activity in animal models of chronic stroke, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD), Limb–Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD), Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (MDC1A), Marfan Syndrome and Epidermolysis Bullosa.
More on Boston Chron
- Ladies - Here is How to Elevate Your Wardrobe
- Fierce Biotech Names Amylyx Pharmaceuticals as One of Its "Fierce 15" Biotech Companies of 2020
- Mayor Walsh announces Boston Racial Equity Fund Steering Committee
- Boston: Demolition Delay application: 187 Gardner Street, West Roxbury
- Boston: Mayor Walsh doubles funding available for seniors to replace heating systems through seniors save program
About Constant Therapeutics LLC
Constant Therapeutics LLC is a private biopharmaceutical company developing drugs that target the alternative renin angiotensin system, the protective arm of the renin angiotensin system (RAS). This protective pathway involves the enzyme ACE2, its principal product, the peptide angiotensin-(1-7), and the peptide's target, the Mas receptor. Constant's lead drug candidate is TXA127. For more information on Constant Therapeutics, please visit our website at www.constanttherapeutics.com.
SOURCE Constant Therapeutics
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Boston Chron
- Rising Music Star, Kennedy Stephens Honors Breonna Taylor in Profound New Song
- A Thousand Ways to Save Energy - And $$$$
- Philadelphia Equity Transaction Closes to fund 6 High End Apartments in University City
- Farm Aid 2020 On The Road Rallies Support For Family Farmers As Essential Workers
- Women's Aha Camp Celebrates 10 Years during Covid Chaos by Creating ahas!@home
- Boston: City calls on neighborhood grocery stores, bodegas, and corner stores to join Double Up Food Bucks
- Streamed Lecture: Women in Italy, women composers in the 18th Century, and Maria Teresa Agnesi
- Eaton Vance Files Third Amended Exemptive Application for Clearhedge™ Method
- 6-Year Old First-Time Author Kai Mahalyn Tampol
- Powerstage Sports Nutrition Launches New Supplements Brand for the Athlete in All of Us!
- City of Boston releases 2020 Climate Action Progress report
- Boston: Mayor Walsh calls on neighborhood grocery stores, Bodegas and Corner stores to join double up food bucks program
- Shane Boulware Promotes His Urban Fantasy Thriller - Soulstealer
- Study shows the state of hotel cleanliness in Europe. Which countries are best for booking hotels that are clean?
- Kupper Mounts Vacuum-Powered, Suction Cup Bike Racks Now for Sale Now through Shopify & KupperMounts.com for Customers Living in the United States
- Radius Health & Menarini Group Provide Elacestrant Update
- New live video network for students enhances college social life and campus entertainment
- Mom-Oriented UX Design Coaching Program Offers Newest Opportunity for Success from You Are TechY
- TLC Cleaning owner Trisha Lake expands to open company's 3rd location
- Morgan Records Management Partners with Castaway Technologies to Provide Secure Data Destruction