Since its start in 1985, Farm Aid has connected to farmers through its hotline and farm organization partners and deployed funds and resources to help farm families address multiple challenges. The 2020 festival comes amid extreme stress in the farm economy, which has been exacerbated by the pandemic. As a result, thousands of family farmers are at risk of going under. Farm Aid President and Founder Willie Nelson said there is now even more urgency to support local farm communities and Farm Aid.
"The pandemic has shown everyone that our corporate-dominated food system is fragile and unjust," said Nelson. "Now more than ever, it should be clear to all of us how much we need family farmers and why it's so important to listen to them and support efforts — at home, locally and nationally — to keep them on the land."
Nelson joined a Farm Aid 2020 On the Road lineup that also featured Farm Aid board members John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews, along with Black Pumas, Bonnie Raitt and Boz Scaggs, Brandi Carlile, Chris Stapleton, Edie Brickell with Charlie Sexton, Jack Johnson, Jamey Johnson, Jon Batiste, Kelsey Waldon, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Margo Price, Nathaniel Rateliff, Norah Jones, Particle Kid, The Record Company, Valerie June and The War And Treaty.
More on Boston Chron
- Boston: Mayor Walsh announces good neighbors program fulfills more than 4,500 requests
- Tegra Medical Announces Expansion in Europe and Asia
- Marc Ganzi, CEO of Colony Capital, Announced as a Keynote at The Connected Virtual Tech Event November 16th 2020
- QLSM is 5 Years of Therapy In Just 3 Hours Science Backed
- Ginkgo Bioworks Secures Access to SARS-CoV-2 Rapid Antigen Test With Goal of Acquiring and Distributing Up To 50 Million Tests
During the virtual festival, Rhonda Perry and Roger Allison, farmers and founders of the Missouri Rural Crisis Center, discussed how the COVID-19 pandemic has revealed a vulnerable dominant food system that works intentionally to maximize corporate power and profits, while putting the health of soil and water, farmers and workers, communities and people at risk.
The virtual festival also showcased the diversity and strength of family farmers, demonstrating that a thriving movement — especially of young farmers; Black, brown and Indigenous farmers; and women farmers — is leading the way for conversations, strategies and change to create a more democratic farm and food system. Louisiana farmers Angie and June Provost discussed their experience with racial discrimination in lending that ultimately resulted in the loss of their farm. Many other farmers from across the country were featured in video montages that showcased the reasons farmers do the work they do, the challenges they face, and their hopes for the future of agriculture.
The goal of the virtual festival is to raise critical funds for and awareness of the organization's mission, which it typically does through ticket sales to the annual in-person music and food festival. Farm Aid accepts donations at www.farmaid.org/donate. Farm Aid 2020 merchandise, which also supports the organization's year-round work, may be purchased at shop.farmaid.org.
More on Boston Chron
- HiFiBiO Therapeutics Completes First Cohort of a Phase I Study of its SARS-CoV-2 Neutralizing Antibody for the Treatment and Prevention of COVID-19
- Peter Schiff's Bank Service to Criminals as Per the Tax Probe Triggers Sizzling Reactions at OffshoreCorpTalk.com
- Families Own and Manage Majority of Businesses Worldwide, According to New Family Entrepreneurship Data
- Strategy Analytics: Premium Models Will Capture 80 Percent of All Smartphone Revenues in Western Europe in 2021
- BCG and Microsoft Collaborate to Launch BCG's Catalyst Cloud Solution on Azure, a New Scalable and Extensible Data Platform for the Bionic Corporation
Additionally, Farm Aid's online silent auction launched today with exclusive trips and artist-signed memorabilia, including several "from the vault" guitars and prints from previous Farm Aid festivals. The online auction can be accessed at farmaid.org/auction until Friday, Oct. 9. All proceeds will benefit the organization.
Sponsors of this year's event include ButcherBox, Farmer Focus, Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs, and Horizon Organic. Stories of sponsors' farmer suppliers were also featured in the festival.
Farm Aid 2020 On the Road aired on FarmAid.org, YouTube, and AXS TV, as well as on SiriusXM's Willie's Roadhouse (channel 59) and Dave Matthews Band Radio (channel 30). The program will be available for viewing in its entirety for the next five days on farmaid.org.
Farm Aid's mission is to build a vibrant, family farm-centered system of agriculture in America. Farm Aid artists and board members Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp and Dave Matthews host an annual festival to raise funds to support Farm Aid's work with family farmers and to inspire people to choose family farm food. For more than 30 years, Farm Aid, with the support of the artists who contribute their performances each year, has raised nearly $60 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms.
SOURCE Farm Aid
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Boston Chron
- Eaton Vance Senior Income Trust Annual Meeting Of Shareholders On November 12, 2020 Will Be A Virtual Meeting
- TomCat Films ignites the fireplace video category with 'My Fireplace Girl' series of DVDs and Streaming Videos
- Metropolitan Opera Singer Releases Pop Music Videos From Quarantine
- Hurricane Epsilon Marks 10th Hurricane of the 2020 Hurricane Season
- "W1SH RIBBON" Emblazons TOKYO SKYTREE'S Tembo Deck! TOKYO SKYTREE is Opening the Door to the Future So That W1SHES Can Come True!
- Pierre Gervois Awarded Prestigious George Stoney Social Impact Award for his TV show The Face of America
- Mayor Walsh announces applications open for Boston Disability Commission Advisory Board
- Akebia Presents Results from its INNO2VATE Global Phase 3 Program; Demonstrated Efficacy and Cardiovascular Safety of Vadadustat for the Treatment of Anemia due to Chronic Kidney Disease in Adult Patients on Dialysis
- Launching New No Touch Tool Made from EPA Registered Alloy
- Strategy Analytics: Western European Countries Lead in 5G Share of Smartphone Sales
- DUCs Can't Sustain U.S. Shale, ESAI Energy
- 3Sixty Insights Names Brent Skinner Director and Principal Analyst
- ACEC/MA Announces BSC Group as 2020 winner of Bronze Engineering Excellence Award
- PearlFection Dentistry Does Implant Supported Dentures with Zygoma Implants
- Ideanomics Enters into US EV Manufacturing Market
- Autonomous Announces First Ever Standing Desk with User-Adjustable Anti-Collision Feature
- IFAW: Two critically endangered right whales discovered entangled in gear
- Lantheus Holdings to Host Third Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call and Webcast on November 5, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time
- Cohere Health Closes Additional $10 Million in Funding to Accelerate Delivery of Patient Journey Platform for Better Healthcare Quality and Outcomes
- Veristat Announces Global Cell and Gene Therapy Center of Excellence