"In Boston, we put our community first, and this new police station is an investment in East Boston, and in public safety," said Mayor Walsh. "This station is our commitment to the next generation. We're dedicated to community policing, and that means interacting with residents, families and youth in a positive way. For our young people, this station is a place where they can learn about a career in law enforcement, join a youth group, or get mentoring. We will continue to invest in our values of trust and community, and create public spaces that help all residents."
More on Boston Chron
- Boston: HubNob raises $400,000 for BCYF programming
- Appointment of Board Director and CEO, Quantgate Systems Inc. formerly Epcylon Technologies Inc
- NYC Church Takes A Radical Approach To Grief During Thanksgiving Weekend
- Digital Storytelling team elevating Boston voices
- GIA Wellness Introduces Two Revolutionary Skin Nourishment Products
As Boston leads in community policing, the city's crime rate is down 25 percent in the last five years. In A-7, major crime is down by 15 percent this year.
"Our officers work hard every day to serve the residents of Boston, creating relationships and ensuring public safety," said Boston Police Commissioner Gross. "I'm proud that my department has won the trust and respect of our residents, and this new building will allow our police officers to do their jobs more effectively, and continue their incredible work and relationships with the East Boston community."
The design and location of the building creates a more efficient 27,000 square foot, three story station, and will be LEED Silver Certified, as part of Mayor Walsh's Climate Action Plan goals. The new building will include a lobby, front desk and gathering space for the community that holds up to 49 people, a community service office, new fencing, a parking area, pedestrian paths, landscaping, and new site utilities.
The station will also contribute to Mayor Walsh's "Percent for Art" program by permanently housing a piece of public art. The "Percent for Art" program is the City of Boston's five-year commitment to granting $13.4 million to public art pieces over the timeframe. It is a part of the City's cultural plan, Boston Creates, founded in 2016.
More on Boston Chron
- Honeycomb Credit and BitReel Announce Strategic Partnership
- 7pace Releases Timetracker 5 with new Dashboards for Azure DevOps
- DeRonja Real Estate Hires Bradley Congleton
- HoloBuilder Announces Partnership with Boston Dynamics
- New Virtual TruScan RM App Enables Method Validation in the Cloud
The allocation of funds for the new police station comes from Mayor Walsh's Capital Plan for fiscal years 2020 to 2024 supported by the Capital Budget. This is one of several BPD projects that will be funded by the Capital Budget. Public safety and education make up 60 percent of spending in the Capital Plan.
The Boston Police Department and the City of Boston's Public Facilities Department partnered with Leers Weinzapfel Architects and J&J Contractors Inc. to design an efficient and effective, community-oriented police station.
The A-7 police station builds on Mayor Walsh's commitment to investing in community spaces and services for residents in East Boston, and across the city. In East Boston, Mayor Walsh has dedicated $2.4 million for renovation at Engine 5 for the Boston Fire Department; $8.9 million for the Paris Street swimming pool; $4.8 million for Noyes Park; $1 million for a new senior center at Orient Heights; $3 million for McArdle Bridge; new lights at Memorial Stadium; and resilience upgrades at key points along the waterfront.
Latest on Boston Chron
- Singapore FinTech Festival 2019 Reinvents IT industry
- PearlFection Dentistry invests in state of the art Cone Beam CT scanner (3D imaging), Panoramic X-ray System, and Cephalometric X-ray system
- All Instant Pot Multi-Cooker Black Friday 2019 Deals: List of Early 8 Quart, 6 Quart & 3 Quart Pressure Cooker Deals Released by Save Bubble
- All The Best LEGO Toys Black Friday Deals (2019): Early LEGO Boost, Star Wars & Dimensions Toy Sales Compared by Retail Egg
- Bob Holz to Release New Album with Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones
- Competitive Financial Solutions for Business Development
- Bluehost, SiteGround, HostGator & WP Engine Web Hosting Black Friday Deals 2019: All The Best Web Hosting Early Deals Rounded Up by Deal Stripe
- Compare The Best Smart Home Black Friday 2019 Deals: Top Early Blink, August Home, Lorex & WeMo Smart Home Sales Reviewed by The Consumer Post
- Connected Real Estate Summit Launched in Partnership with the #TechSuperShow 2020 in Florida
- Peak Physical Therapy & Sports Performance Promotes Ruth Maloney, DPT to Director of Pelvic Health
- Boston: Approval of Pine Street Inn supportive housing project in Jamaica Plain
- Boston: City bridge named in honor of the Grimké sisters
- "Blades Direct Reviews" Announces Diamond Blade sales on Amazon and Ebay
- Axiros Announces A Strategic Technology Partnership With AudioCodes
- South Coast Improvement, Co. wins renovation project at Deaconess Abundant Life Communities
- Libman Education Updates Coding Skills Assessments for FY2020
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens New Urgent Care Clinic in Tucker, GA
- Babson College Leads Top Graduate Entrepreneurship Programs Worldwide
- Process Technology Wins Respected Fast Track 50 Award!
- ABI Research Names PTC a Leader in Enterprise Augmented Reality Platforms