- Awake! Ye Sisters All: Sisterhood in Boston's Women's Voter Registers
- Boston: Inaugural Cohort of Young Black Leaders Announced
- Massachusetts: Healey-Driscoll Administration Appoints Phillip Eng as MBTA General Manager
"With the addition of Attorney Hickey, Massachusetts will receive a well-qualified candidate for the judiciary," said Governor Charlie Baker. "I am pleased to submit her nomination to the Governor's Council."
"Attorney Hickey possesses years of experience that make her a qualified candidate for the role of Clerk Magistrate," said Lt. Governor Karyn Polito. "We look forward to the advice and consent of the Governor's Council."
The District Court hears a wide range of criminal, civil, housing, juvenile, mental health, and other types of cases. District Court criminal jurisdiction extends to all felonies punishable by a sentence up to five years, and many other specific felonies with greater potential penalties; all misdemeanors; and all violations of city and town ordinances and by-laws. The District Court is located in 62 courts across the Commonwealth.
For more information about the District Court, visit their homepage.
More on Boston Chron
- Boston: March 2023: Latest Updates from the Mayor's Office of Housing
- Boston: April Allston/Brighton Community Center Study Meeting
- Boston: Mayor Wu Launches $750,000 Grant Fund to Support Growth of Businesses and Access to City Contracts
- Mayor Wu Announces $4 Million Investment to Expand Boston's Tuition Free Community College Program
- Boston: Meet the Fine Arts Work Center Scholarship Recipients
Judicial nominations are subject to the advice and consent of the Governor's Council. Applicants for judicial openings are reviewed by the Judicial Nominating Commission (JNC) and recommended to the governor. Governor Baker established the JNC in February 2015 pursuant to Executive Order 558, a non-partisan, non-political Commission composed of volunteers from a cross-section of the Commonwealth's diverse population to screen judicial applications. Twenty-one members were later appointed to the JNC in April 2015.
About Rachel M. Hickey
Attorney Rachel M. Hickey began her legal career in 1995 as an assistant district attorney for the Essex County District Attorney's Office. From 2001 to 2003, she served as Deputy General Counsel for the Executive Office of Public Safety and as Acting General Counsel for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. From 2005 to 2006, she worked as an attorney for the Law Offices of James M. Bowers. Since 2006, Attorney Hickey has served as Assistant Clerk Magistrate for the Newburyport and Ipswich District Court. In July 2019, she was appointed Acting Clerk Magistrate until March 2020 and held the position again from January 2021 to March 2021. From July 2022 to November 2022, Attorney Hickey served as Acting Clerk Magistrate of the Somerville District Court. Attorney Hickey received her associate's degree from Bradford College in 1986, her bachelor's degree from the University of Massachusetts Lowell in 1988 and her juris doctor from Massachusetts School of Law in 1994.
Filed Under: Government, State
Latest on Boston Chron
- Boston: Ramadan Mubarak! City Council extends best wishes to Muslims
- Boston: Council Adopts Resolution to Improve Quality of Life for D7
- American University of Antigua announces its participation in the Consortium of Universities for Global Health 2023 Annual Conference
- Geostrategy.rs: The End of Free Media Era
- Introducing inSIGHT Mobile Machine Displays
- Local Real Estate Broker Offers Homeowners Cash Offer at Full Market Value with No Inspection Needed
- MaGO PR to Lead Specialized Public Relations Campaigns for the Presidio Trust
- Shima Capital's Founder Yida Gao Teaches Crypto Finance Course at MIT
- Max Amini Announces Powerful Interview with Reza Pahlavi, Former Crown Prince of Iran; to Premiere April 1st
- Independent Retirement and Investment Specialists Johnson Brunetti Expand to South Shore
- The South Shore Chamber of Commerce and NE Real Estate Journal Name Speakers for Summit
- Veterans For Trump aka VFAF: Trump Bus rolls into Georgia Ron DeSantis event overshadowing Tiny Desantis box truck at Veterans for Trump mini-rally
- Palos Verdes Real Estate Agent Promotes Homes To MORE Opportune Buyers For Significantly MORE Money
- Access Control Systems Expands and Rebrands as Guardian Access Solutions as Part of Increased Service Offerings
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens Urgent Care Clinic in Marietta
- Olga Torres Named Top Advisor by Foreign Investment Watch
- Benchmark International Scsflly Fclitd The Trnstn Btw Bagel King Wholesale and Austin Circle Partner
- Attorney Steve Hilst Named Partner at Bisnar Chase
- 26 Provider Fairview Community Health Center Transitions to Intelligent eClinicalWorks Cloud
- New xBit Digital Case Management Feature Saves Examiners Hours of Required Report Upload Time