- Apogee Welcomes Nick Marchese, VP of Growth
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday Apple Watch Series 3 Deals (2020): Best GPS + Cellular, GPS, 38mm & 42mm Apple Watch Savings Published by Retail Fuse
- Overjet Tapped by AEGIS for Dental Artificial Intelligence Article Series
"Justice Kimberly Budd is a distinguished and well respected jurist who will bring years of calm, steady and collaborative leadership experience to the Commonwealth's highest court serving as Chief Justice," said Governor Baker. "I have the utmost confidence that her unique perspective and understanding of the law will aid her as she transitions into the role of Chief and that under her leadership, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court will continue its tradition of excellence in promoting the rule of law and fostering public trust."
"Throughout her career, Justice Budd has served as a role model for women and people of color and she has given a voice and a seat at the table to those who have not always been heard," said Lt. Governor Polito. "Her qualifications and character make her well suited to continue to serve the citizens of the Commonwealth with justice and integrity and I look forward to the consideration of the Governor's Council in her appointment."
More on Boston Chron
- Fellini In Action, 8 1/2 Set Photography by Paul Ronald Exhibit
- Bells & Balls in the Bottoms Ring In Kansas City's West Bottoms Holiday Weekends
- Mayor Walsh announces new leadership at key City of Boston departments
- Boston: Mayor Walsh announces start of redevelopment at 41 North Margin Street
- Foundation Offers FREE Workshop To Motivate Black Male Students After Tumultuous 2020
"This was a wonderful appointment by the Governor," said former Chief Justice Roderick L. Ireland. "Justice Budd will do a fantastic job because she has all the tools necessary for the role. She is brilliant, hardworking, analytical, collegial and astute. She is a great writer and a tremendous human being. I have watched her career over the years and am certain that Justice Budd will do an outstanding job as Chief Justice."
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court, consisting of the Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online.
About Justice Kimberly Budd:
Kimberly S. Budd, Associate Justice, was appointed to the Supreme Judicial Court by Governor Charlie Baker in 2016. Since her appointment, she has authored over 85 decisions. She also serves on the Hearing List Committee. Justice Budd is President and Dean of the Flaschner Judicial Institute, designing continuing education programs for judges. She also serves as the Court's liaison to the Committee on Judicial Performance Evaluation, the Trial Court Leadership Group, the SJC Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services and the Judicial Youth Corps.
More on Boston Chron
- Boston: Be Connected: Behind-the-scenes with Brian Coughlin, Superintendent of Waste Reduction
- Circle Announces Partnership with Visa to Bring the Benefits of Stablecoins to Businesses Worldwide
- Free, mobile COVID-19 testing now available in Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and East Boston
- Groundbreaking of Grace Apartments in East Boston celebrated
- Boston: Holtzer Park project in Jackson Square under construction
Justice Budd earned her Bachelor's degree in English from Georgetown University, and a law degree from Harvard Law School. She began her legal career as a law clerk to Chief Justice Joseph P. Warner of the Massachusetts Appeals Court. Justice Budd was a litigation associate at Mintz Levin, before serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts in the Major Crimes and Drug Units. After that, she was a University Attorney for Harvard University in the General Counsel's Office. Justice Budd later served as Director of the Community Values program at Harvard Business School. Justice Budd was appointed as an Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court by Governor Deval Patrick in 2009. In 2016 she served as the Regional Administrative Justice for Middlesex Criminal Business. Justice Budd teaches in MCLE and Bar Association programs, is a former adjunct instructor at New England Law Boston, and has taught trial advocacy at Harvard Law School. She is married with two sons.
For more information about the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, visit:http://www.mass.gov/courts/court-info/sjc/.
Latest on Boston Chron
- HZT Records Releases "Angel" by Hillstaxx Dec 11
- Boston: Demolition Delay application: 1 Cumberland Street, Back Bay
- Boston: Demolition Delay application: 220 Huntington Avenue, Back Bay
- $250,000 in grants awarded to Boston artists working toward racial justice
- Graphene Markets: Orders Arrive, Consolidation Awaits, Reports IDTechEx
- City of Boston, Massachusetts College of Art and Design award $250,000 in grants to Boston artists working toward racial justice
- Mayor Walsh announces City of Boston achieves AAA bond ratings for the seventh consecutive year
- Boston: Free financial navigator to help residents tackle COVID-19 financial challenges
- Boston: More than 100 homeless youth and young adults housed since 2019
- Bacainn Therapeutics Reports Positive Topline Results from Phase 1 Study of BT051, a Novel Therapeutic Approach to Treat Inflammatory Diseases Such As Ulcerative Colitis
- Seven Bridges GRAF™ Named #3 on The Scientist's Top 10 Innovations List for 2020
- 'Bounce Back to Success' hits Amazon Best-Seller List
- Berkshire Hathaway Homeservices Hilton Head Bluffton Realty Taps Christina Galbreath-Gonzalez To Lead Bluffton Office
- Robert T. Ball, Jr., MD Honored with ReadyCommunities Partnership/CCROA 2020 National Service Award For Leadership in SC Communities Amidst Pandemic
- Australian Artist seeks 4 Million USD in damages from Bollywood
- Cogent Biosciences Announces Pricing of Upsized Public Offering of Shares of Common Stock
- CORRECTING and REPLACING VIDEO Monotype Fonts Launches to Give Brands Exclusive Access to Award-Winning Typography
- Reigning National Football League's DPOY, Stephon Gilmore, Hand Writes a Note to his Five-Year Old Son, Addressing Why "Black Lives Matter"
- Karyopharm Announces Investor and Analyst Event at the American Society of Hematology 2020 Annual Meeting
- Plymouth Industrial REIT Declares Fourth Quarter 2020 Preferred Stock Dividend